According to City Population Review, Splendora is located in east Texas, approximately 50 miles north of Houston. The terrain is mostly wooded and hilly, with two major rivers flowing through it: the San Jacinto and the Trinity. The climate is hot and humid in the summer months, with temperatures often reaching into the 90s. Winters are mild, with occasional cold fronts bringing snow to the area.
The city of Splendora has a rich history that dates back to the early 1800s when it was first settled by pioneers looking for a new life. In 1881, Splendora was officially incorporated as a city and quickly gained prominence as a thriving agricultural community. Over time, Splendora became known for its timber industry, which provided much-needed jobs to many families in the area.
Politically, Splendora is part of Montgomery County, which tends to lean conservatively in elections. The economy of Splendora is largely fueled by oil production and ranching; however, there are also several small businesses throughout town that contribute to the local economy.
The Splendora Independent School District serves most of the city’s students from kindergarten through 12th grade; there are also several private schools within a few miles of town that offer alternative educational options for parents looking for something different for their children.
Among some of Splendora’s most notable landmarks are Old Town Square Park and Lake Conroe Park; both offer plenty of outdoor recreation opportunities such as fishing, camping, hiking trails and more. Additionally, there are numerous historical sites throughout town including old churches and cemeteries that tell stories about this area’s past inhabitants.
Population: 1,275. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,394 (+9.3% change)
Males: 613 (48.1%), Females: 662 (51.9%)
Zip code: 77372
Median resident age: 29.0 years
Median household income: $36,211
Median house value: $54,000
Races in Splendora:
- White Non-Hispanic (92.0%)
- Hispanic (5.3%)
- Other race (1.8%)
- American Indian (1.2%)
- Two or more races (1.2%)
- Filipino (0.5%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (18.0%), German (12.9%), Irish (10.3%), English (5.4%), French (5.3%), Polish (1.7%).
Land area: 2.1 square miles
The population of Splendora, Texas is estimated to be around 5,000 people. The city has a diverse population with a majority of White Americans at 47.7%, followed by Hispanic or Latino at 37.6%, African American at 8.5%, and other races making up the remaining 6.2%. The median age in Splendora is 37 years old, and the town has a gender ratio of 49% female to 51% male. Splendora is also home to a large military population due to its close proximity to Ellington Field Joint Reserve Base, which houses several branches of the United States military. The town also has many retirees who move there for its peaceful atmosphere and low cost of living. In terms of education, over 85% of residents have completed high school or higher levels of education, making it one of the most educated communities in Texas. There are also several highly rated schools in Splendora that serve the community’s educational needs from pre-kindergarten through high school as well as some college courses offered through Lone Star College-Montgomery Campus located nearby.
For population 25 years and over in Splendora
- High school or higher: 74.3%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 4.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.4%
- Unemployed: 7.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 38.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Splendora city
- Never married: 20.7%
- Now married: 60.6%
- Separated: 2.5%
- Widowed: 4.4%
- Divorced: 11.7%
2.4% Foreign born (0.8% Europe, 0.8% Asia, 0.6% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +415 (+48.3%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Splendora:
- KINGWOOD HEALTH CENTER (about 12 miles; KINGWOOD, TX)
- CLEVELAND REGIONAL MEDICAL CTR (about 13 miles; CLEVELAND, TX)
- HEALTHSOUTH REHABILITATION HOSPITAL (about 17 miles; HUMBLE, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Splendora:
- GEORGE BUSH INTERCONTINENTAL ARPT/HOUSTON (about 21 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: IAH)
- WILLIAM P HOBBY (about 41 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: HOU)
- ELLINGTON FIELD (about 43 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: EFD)
Other public-use airports nearest to Splendora:
- WILLIAMS (about 12 miles; PORTER, TX; Abbreviation: 9X1)
- CLEVELAND MUNI (about 15 miles; CLEVELAND, TX; Abbreviation: 6R3)
- MONTGOMERY COUNTY (about 19 miles; CONROE, TX; Abbreviation: CXO)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Splendora:
- NORTH HARRIS MONTGOMERY COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT (about 26 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 13,933)
- SAN JACINTO COLLEGE-NORTH CAMPUS (about 27 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,819)
- HOUSTON COMMUNITY COLLEGE SYSTEM (about 33 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 21,140)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS HEALTH SCIENCE CENTER (about 33 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,595)
- UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON-DOWNTOWN (about 35 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 6,236)
- LEE COLLEGE (about 36 miles; BAYTOWN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,099)
- UNIVERSITY OF ST THOMAS (about 37 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,541)
Public high school in Splendora:
- SPLENDORA H S (Students: 784; Location: 23411 FM 2090; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Splendora:
- SPLENDORA PRIMARY (Students: 825; Location: 14455 COX ST; Grades: PK – 02)
- SPLENDORA JUNIOR HIGH (Students: 775; Location: 26175 FM 2090; Grades: 06 – 08)
- SPLENDORA ELEMENTARY (Students: 750; Location: 26275 FM 2090; Grades: 03 – 05)