In 2009, Monaco had a population of approximately 37,000 people. Its economy was largely dependent on tourism, banking and finance, and the export of light industrial goods. The country had strong diplomatic relations with the US, European Union and other countries in the region. In terms of politics, Monaco was a constitutional monarchy with a Prince as Head of State who is elected from among Grimaldi family members. The legislative branch was made up of one chamber: the National Council (Conseil National), composed of 18 members elected by direct popular vote. See internetsailors for Monaco in the year of 2011.
Monaco. In May, the European Economic Cooperation and Development Organization (OECD) announced that Monaco had been removed from the organization’s “black list” of non-cooperative tax havens, after promising to improve transparency and exchange of information. According to countryaah, Andorra and Liechtenstein were simultaneously deleted from the list, which was thus empty. See ABBREVIATIONFINDER for abbreviation MC which stands for the nation of Monaco.
|Gross domestic product (GDP)||$ 7,672,000,000|
|GDP growth rate||5.40%|
|GDP per capita||$ 115,700|
|GDP by sector|
|Proportion of the population below the national poverty line||–|
|Distribution of household income|
|Top 10%||k. A.|
|Lower 10%||k. A.|
|Industrial production growth rate||20.00%|
|Foreign exchange reserves|
Palazzo Grimaldi (or Palazzo dei Principi) architecturally dominates the Principality: founded as a Genoese fortress (1191), from the end of the 13th century. it is the residence of the Grimaldi family. The initial fortress-castle was progressively transformed into a palace since the 15th century: a riot of architectural styles, the main facade appears as a Renaissance terrace; on the back of the building there are traces of the ancient fortifications. At the end of the 18th century. it was restored again.
During the 19th century. attention was focused on the overall image of the Principality, which has become a tourist and residential center; the Casino, by J.-L.-C. Garnier (1878-79).