According to campingship, Joppa, Maryland is located in Harford County, just northeast of Baltimore. The city has a population of around 5,000 people and is situated on the banks of the Gunpowder River. Joppa is known for its temperate climate, with mild winters and warm summers. The city has a rich history that dates back to the 1600s when it was first settled by Europeans. In 1742, it was officially chartered as a town.
The politics in Joppa have been largely dominated by the Democratic Party for many years, though there are several independent candidates who have been elected to office in recent years. The economy is largely based on small businesses and agriculture, with several large employers located nearby in Baltimore and Aberdeen Proving Ground. There are several schools located within Joppa, including Joppatowne Elementary School and Magnolia Middle School.
For those interested in learning more about the history of Joppa, there are several landmarks worth visiting. The oldest building still standing is the historic Revell House which dates back to 1790. Other notable sites include Stansbury Manor (1790), Stansbury Chapel (1804), and Spring Garden Mill (1797). In addition to these historical sites, visitors can also explore the scenic Gunpowder River or take part in outdoor activities such as fishing and hiking at one of the many parks located throughout Joppa.
Males: 5,654 (49.6%), Females: 5,737 (50.4%)
Median resident age: 38.1 years
Median household income: $57,799
Median house value: $130,000
Races in Joppatowne:
- White Non-Hispanic (84.5%)
- Black (10.3%)
- Hispanic (2.1%)
- Two or more races (1.6%)
- Other race (1.0%)
- American Indian (0.6%)
Ancestries: German (26.4%), Irish (17.4%), English (12.8%), Polish (8.6%), Italian (7.6%), United States (3.3%).
Elevation: 15 feet
Land area: 6.9 square miles
Joppa, Maryland is a small town located in Harford County, Maryland. It has an estimated population of approximately 2,500 people. The town is mostly residential but also has some businesses located within its borders. The majority of the population is Caucasian but there are also minorities and immigrants living in the area. The median age of the population is 40 years old and the median household income is around $63,000 per year. There are also many retired individuals living in Joppa due to its close proximity to Aberdeen Proving Ground and other military bases in the area. Joppa has several parks, trails and lakes that attract visitors from all over Maryland as well as neighboring states. Residents enjoy a variety of activities such as fishing, swimming, boating, camping and hiking at these locations. Joppa’s local schools are highly rated with excellent academic programs for students K-12. Additionally, there are several churches, libraries and recreational centers available for residents to take advantage of in their free time. Overall, Joppa provides a safe and inviting environment for its residents with plenty of resources to keep everyone happy and entertained!
For population 25 years and over in Joppatowne
- High school or higher: 84.7%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 19.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 7.4%
- Unemployed: 2.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 32.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Joppatowne CDP
- Never married: 21.9%
- Now married: 60.4%
- Separated: 3.1%
- Widowed: 5.5%
- Divorced: 9.1%
5.0% Foreign born (2.5% Europe, 1.0% Asia, 1.0% Latin America).
Hospitals/medical centers near Joppatowne:
- UPPER CHESAPEAKE MEDICAL CENTER (about 9 miles; BEL AIR, MD)
- FRANKLIN SQUARE HOSPITAL (about 12 miles; BALTIMORE, MD)
- ST JOSEPH HOSPITAL (about 17 miles; TOWSON, MD)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Joppatowne:
- BALTIMORE-WASHINGTON INTL (about 28 miles; BALTIMORE, MD; Abbreviation: BWI)
- LANCASTER (about 49 miles; LANCASTER, PA; Abbreviation: LNS)
- ANDREWS AFB (about 56 miles; CAMP SPRINGS, MD; Abbreviation: ADW)
Other public-use airports nearest to Joppatowne:
- FALLSTON (about 7 miles; FALLSTON, MD; Abbreviation: W42)
- MARTIN STATE (about 8 miles; BALTIMORE, MD; Abbreviation: MTN)
- ESSEX SKYPARK (about 13 miles; BALTIMORE, MD; Abbreviation: W48)
Amtrak stations near Joppatowne:
- 15 miles: ABERDEEN (S. PHILADELPHIA & BELAIR AVE.). Services: free short-term parking, intercity bus service.
- 20 miles: BALTIMORE (1500 N. CHARLES ST.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, full-service food facilities, snack bar, vending machines, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Joppatowne:
- HARFORD COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 9 miles; BEL AIR, MD; Full-time enrollment: 2,646)
- MORGAN STATE UNIVERSITY (about 17 miles; BALTIMORE, MD; Full-time enrollment: 5,564)
- TOWSON UNIVERSITY (about 18 miles; TOWSON, MD; Full-time enrollment: 13,971)
- JOHNS HOPKINS UNIVERSITY (about 19 miles; BALTIMORE, MD; Full-time enrollment: 12,330)
- LOYOLA COLLEGE (about 20 miles; BALTIMORE, MD; Full-time enrollment: 4,859)
- UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND-BALTIMORE (about 21 miles; Baltimore, MD; Full-time enrollment: 4,456)
- UNIVERSITY OF BALTIMORE (about 21 miles; BALTIMORE, MD; Full-time enrollment: 3,230)